December 30, 2011

A Year in Review


Last year Ev and Maia tried to wake me at midnight to ring in the New Year. Normally I’m awake to see the change of the year, but I had pneumonia (just didn’t know it yet). So I barely stirred as I let 2010 slip into 2011.

I wonder if I would have woken to acknowledge the role of the calendar if I knew what was coming my way. I didn’t yet know what it would be like to say goodbye to dear friends and family to sail 8000 miles across an ocean. I didn’t know what it would be like to cross the equator and make landfall after 19 days at sea (three spent with only one rudder). I couldn’t yet picture what it would be like to enter the pass of a mid ocean atoll, swim with sharks, or visit ancient Polynesian ruins.

 

I couldn’t imagine the friends I would make, or the tears I’d shed with each goodbye. I had no idea how much I would need to challenge myself, my marriage, my family. I didn’t know what it would be like to be becalmed in the middle of a silent sea, or dive deep into its depths with my daughter—and watch her scuba bubbles rise.
I didn’t yet know the joy of walking those endless stretches of beach, or of making those hilly climbs—each with a new mystery just around the bend. I didn’t know about the people who would welcome us into their homes and hearts.

I couldn’t imagine any of it.

But if I did, I’d like to think I would have gotten up and sat with Ev and Maia out on deck—memorizing the stars and speaking in awe of the amazing life we are living. I’d like to think our tones would be hushed and grateful as we spoke of what was to come.

Every day, every year, should be met with gratitude and awe. But some days, some years, change you. They show you a world, and your place in it, in a way you never imagined.

I don’t know what will come my way in 2012--I can't even begin to imagine where I may spend next New Year. But I know tonight—I will look skyward to try and memorize a sky where the constellations are still strange and new, and I will speak in a voice that is hushed with awe of my future.

10 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Happy 2012; your year starts with a great portrait of the family bedecked in leis and curls. I look forward to spending another year reading about adventures: near and far, shallow and deep, becalmed and briskly winded.

Thank you for sharing your travels and shore fun with us your loyal reader(s).

islandwonder said...

What a way to spend the year. Sounds like it was awesome.

Michael Robertson said...

I was planning to get to sleep early tonight, and now I can't. Thank you for a nice post. Hope you three have a 2012 that is just as memorable. Adios, Michael

boatbaby said...

Love that shot of you guys sailing under Spinnaker! Have a healthy, happy 2012 you three!

Diane, Evan, Maia and Charlie the cat said...

Thanks for the good wishes--they really mean a lot. It's lovely to get feedback.
Cindy--the spinnaker shot is when we were sailing to Bora Bora--Dean on Don Quixote took it. If you look at Toast Floats you'll see a shot of them from the same day that we took as we sailed past.
Happy New Year!!
-d

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!!
How will you ever match this last year?

Fair winds
dennis
1:33 PM

Sara Johnson said...

Happy New Year Ceilydhs! We have really enjoyed following your journey this past year. Truly amazing. We are planning on making the jump this spring. I am terrified! But your post really has me thinking I can do it. The trip will truly be amazing and life changing. Best to the three of you! -Sara

Diane, Evan, Maia and Charlie the cat said...

Thanks Sara,
I imagine you'll have a wonderous journey--it really is a special trip (and much easier than the Washington/Oregon coast). All the best to your family in the New Year as you explore Mexico:)

Diane, Evan, Maia and Charlie the cat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

80mW Laser PointersVery good, thank you for sharing
80mW Laser PointeursVery good, thank you for sharing
80mW LASER POINTERSVery good, thank you for sharing
80mW Laser ZeigerVery good, thank you for sharing
80mW Laser PointersVery good, thank you for sharing