April 29, 2011

Landfall in Paradise

After 19 Days 12 hours we dropped our hook in the early morning hours. The moon lit up the anchorage enough at Nuka Hiva that we felt safe entering before dawn. In the silver light we could see peaks, and cliffs and we could smell the loamy earth.

We spoke to WGD over VHF as we entered. After 19 days we find ourselves entering harbour in the same order and with the same 1.5 hour spacing we had when we left La Cruz--and as I type I can see their sail as they approach. They without a main, we without our rudder...

Thanks for riding along for this part of our journey. After we get some sleep we'll get some pictures up. You can bet there will be just a teeny bit of celebrating done today!!

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

8 comments:

Dave Dods off to Mexico said...

There are tears in my eyes as I type this. I am so happy you are safe! I envy your courage and your resolve.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Good news to hear you are safely in port. We can take a deep breath now and so can you...

dennis said...

Well Done! Very Well Done!

Anonymous said...

Great stuff, and thanks again for the ride. I only hope I get to have that feeling one day.

Ramsay said...

You know. You guys are missing the royal wedding.

Diane, Evan, Maia and Charlie the cat said...

Bwahaha Ramsay, we made it in in time to catch the highlights;)

Anonymous said...

Yahoo! So who won the pool you had going?

chicagoross said...

Sounds like a great adventure, Evan (and crew)! Beautiful pics! Let me know if you come by Guam, I'll bring out the HMD19!